Friday, September 30, 2011

No-Sew T-Shirt Infinity Scarf Tutorial


This is probably one of the easiest DIY projects I have posted.
Not only is it really easy, but it also only takes about 10 minutes to do.
What could be better than that?



What You'll Need:

An Old T-Shirt that is XL; go to a thrift store and purchase a large or extra-large shirt that doesn't have a logo on the front or back. If you choose a shirt that has a hard logo your scarf may look stiff in the end. 

Scissors

That's It!


Let's Begin!


Start by cutting off the hem along the bottom of the shirt:


Then cut the bottom of the shirt into 1" or 1 1/2" strips. It is okay if they are jagged:

Note:
The more strips you have the thicker your scarf will be.
Get creative and use two or three shirts that are different colors!!!


Now Comes the Fun Part!

Hold about 4-5 strips together in your hand like this...



 Begin to stretch them out. As you stretch out the strips they will begin to curl in:


If you feel like your strips aren't curling enough you can do them one by one.
You want to make sure they have all stretched the same size or close to the same size:


Your strips should look something like this now:


 Cut out a piece of fabric that is about 1" or 1 1/2" wide.
We will use this to tie the strips together:


 Gather the strips and begin to wrap the extra piece of fabric around one end:




 Once you have wrapped it all the way knot it and then cut off the extra.
Once cut, hide the knot under the other wrapped fabric:


YOU'RE FINISHED!!


Here is one way to wear an infinity scarf.
Begin by putting the scarf on, so it hangs around your neck:

 Twist the scarf once, so you make an 8 or an infinity sign, then put it over your head:



ENJOY!!!!

21 comments:

  1. Marvellous! What a well cool idea and super quick...my husbands t.shirts are no longer safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! Thank you! I literally just asked my husband if he wanted one of his t shirts haha poor guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for commenting and thank you for checking this DIY project out!

    I love this project because it is so easy and you get a great scarf out of the deal when you are through!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's really cool! Its really easy to do, even for lazy people like me, haha. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have tried this over and over and am sad to say you make it look much easier than it really is! The strips just don't curl for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo Hoo!! Another T-yarn project. I can't wait to try this. It seems like it will be super satisfying especially because it's no sew...HELLO Extra Christmas gifts...the women in my family will thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made one with my boyfriend's t-shirt. My 1st time and it turned out great! Super easy...thank you for posting pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how easy it is too! Thanks for checking out DIY Projects!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! Very creative, going to go hunt through the closet today and make one or two or .......great project for this snowy day! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the detailed explanation. Unfortunately if I do it this way and cut the fabric-strips as you have done, the side seams tend to get loose while pulling out the fabric-strips. I tried about 3 different shirts. Is it me or am I doing something wrong here?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, no problem!

    Sometimes the seams on shirts are not sturdy and fall apart easily when they are cut. Each shirt is sewn differently, so some shirts stay together and some fall apart. I'm sorry to hear that your shirts are not cooperating! I dont think you are doing anything wrong. Like I said, some shirts are sturdier than others. Maybe try having a softer pull when stretching out the strips.

    I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That seems so easy! I will try it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you hold the strip AT the seams on each side, in each hand, when you pull, the seam does not get as stressed out - hope this helps!!!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I'm going to try this , but using a 2"-2 1/2" strips instead. Hoping the scarf will look fuller! Love the idea thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I did pretty good for my first infinity scarf. Very easy and it turned out awesome

    Mscheesy

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have to have a T shirt that doesn't have side seams .. tube knit. My scarf kept "shedding" or lint got all over. What is the secret for the type of knit to use?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great question! I buy my t-shirts from resale shops, so I have found that standard cotton t-shirts work best.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always search to read the quality content and finally i found this in you post, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

  19. Your post is really nice and very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am satisfied with the arrangement of your post.

    ReplyDelete

  21. Such a nice post. Thanks for sharing such a valuable features and other relevant information.

    ReplyDelete